The Piobaireachd Society started the first Army piping class on 15 October 1910 with John MacDonald of Inverness as the first instructor.
Almost to the day, 100 years later, on 16 October 2010, a “Piobaireachd for Pleasure” open afternoon was held at the Army School of Piping in Inchdrewer House Edinburgh. About 40 people attended. There was an introductory talk about the history of the Army School and the school had laid on an exhibition of manuscripts including those of Donald MacDonald and Angus MacKay. Several piobaireachd were played in a friendly and informal atmosphere. Symbolically there was a judges’ table with two empty chairs at the end of the large oak-panelled room but with Willie Ross’s practice chanter prominently on display, it would be difficult to say that there was not an edginess in the air which could affect even the surest of crunluaths.
More events are planned early next year to recognise the end of the first army class.